GENRE & SYNOPSIS
Celaena has survived deadly contests and shattering heartbreak―but at an unspeakable cost. Now, she must travel to a new land to confront her darkest truth . . . a truth about her heritage that could change her life―and her future―forever. Meanwhile, brutal and monstrous forces are gathering on the horizon, intent on enslaving her world. Will Celaena find the strength to not only fight her inner demons, but to take on the evil that is about to be unleashed?
RATING & REVIEW
Initially I was so excited to read this. I mean, this series is just getting better and better. When I looked at the size of this book though, I have to admit that I wasn’t entirely sure how I was going to finish this in July as reading has been going kind of slowly lately. But the last few days I’ve been reading like crazy and I finally was able to close this book at 3 am last night. This book is so good; and all though 565 pages felt dragged on and slow at first, I totally understand why Maas decided to make this book more about developing Celaena and her friends. This book was more about making Celaena decide between being the heir she was supposed to be, or go back to Adarlan and continue her work as the King’s champion.
Throughout this book we were introduced to a few new characters. Ren was properly introduced as well as Murtagh, and Aedion was finally brought in. Aedion has become a favorite to be honest as I love his sassiness and total badass nature. But I think the characters that I really fell in love with this time around was Emrys and Luca, and not to forget, Rowan. I don’t think I’ll ever get over Rowan. How can I? He’s like the ToG answer to Rhysand (ACOTAR). Maas KNOWS how to write interesting male characters that we girls can’t stop drooling around.
Throughout this book we got to know Rowan, but we also got to know more about Celaena and how she many years ago let go of being Aelin. I loved how this turned out, and how the internal conflicts that made Aelin become the assassin were kind of resolved. We now know why this happened, why she ended up being who she is and why she has been having trouble dealing with the feelings that she has kind of strangled down for so many years.
I can’t wait to start Queen of Shadows, I already have it beside me! I need to know where this goes.
- The moment Celaena met Rowan and she thought “Gods, he was huge”.
- When Aedion walked in and Chaol put two and two together and realized that Celaena and Aedion had the same eyes.
- When Maeve was totally shady
- When Celaena put two and two together and realized Maeve couldn’t be trusted
- When Rowan said “At least you’ve already learned one lesson. The people you love are just weapons that will be used against you”.
- When Dorian totally kissed Sorscha on the cheek and it gave so much meaning to my life
- When Dorian finally kissed her like Sorscha deserved and it was such a cute moment
- When Rowan bit by bit showed that he cared about Celaena
- When Rowan said those terrible things and it was horrible and I felt bad for Celaena
- When Emrys was totally saying the truth and everyone kept silent
- When Celaena told Rowan about everything, and he later said that she would be able to free every slave no matter what name she used
- When Celaena CLAIMED ROWAN AND I CRIED
- When Rowan cried when Celaena was taken by the Valg
- When Rowan and Celaena were CARRANAM
- When Dorian was finally seen as a king and not as a prince by Chaol
- WHEN ROWAN AND AELIN DID THAT BLOOD OATH THING AND I CRIED